Purpose: To process and record invoices in the URSUS
automated system using the Acquisitions Module .
UMS accounting interface is run on Wednesday. All invoices should be processed before
Wednesday's posting. Invoicing may then resume Thursday morning after notification that System interface procedures are completed.]
Begin by logging onto the Millennium Acquisitions Module:
Window prompt for maoro followed by password
- Select Invoices icon in left menu bar.
- Resulting spreadsheet display will allow you to
select a pay file.
Select by highlighting 2 first. If in use go to 3. Never use 4 (AUGUSTA
- Window displays with default check boxes for the following options:
- Local currency
- Use paid date as date item received
- Prompt for note for each item line
- Screen display will now have several windows to key in the following
- Invoice number - (ex. 025226/ ) (Be sure
/ slash is after
every invoice number). If special handling is required, check the
- If the invoice lacks a number, use the account number on the
invoice. This generally applies to smaller publishers.
See for example: o4204207 for the Bangor Daily News.
- Invoice date - double click for calendar (ex.
7/28/09). If invoice does not have date, use date of entry as
invoice date. Note: cannot process an invoice with
a date in the future
- Order record # (or title) : Enter number stated on invoice
if available. If not use a title search to call up the record. In latter case add the
order record number to the invoice.
- Double click the vendor code value in the fixed field
to see the vendor address. Be sure the address in URSUS matches
the billing address of the invoice in hand. If there is no match,
follow directions for: To check existing vendor
information in Millennium and MaineStreet for accuracy procedure
on the Acquisition wiki.
NOTE: This is especially
important to confirm for all direct vendors (i.e.. not purchased through
Ebsco, or Harrassowitz.)
- If the value
in the vendor field is "none" or if the vendor information
needs to be updated, you will need to follow directions for:
Creating/Revising Vendors (In Millennium and
MaineStreet) procedure on the Acquisitions wiki.
- Amount (Always use Net amount in
U.S. dollars. If
the invoice is in a foreign currency, consult the
Universal Currency Converter ). Amount
cannot exceed $25,000. Invoices over this amount must be brought to the Business Office
for processing and "z" coded for nonpayment.
- Note field: scroll down order record to view and follow previous pattern of payment entries (ex. VOL
- Click enter to move on to next invoice item
- Repeat steps in 3-7 above for each item on invoice
Totaling the invoice
- Double check all elements, especially the invoice number (with
- Click "Finish" button when all invoice items have been entered on the
displayed spreadsheet. Note: Millennium will prompt if vendor code
differs for an item on same invoice, allowing correction on the fly.
- Prompts will appear for the following information
- Shipping or other charges? If any put the amount in.
Service charges must also be added here.
- Services charges or discounts? Long standing glitch in
the system. Do not use this field.
- Total of invoice: enter amount stated on invoice
- Totals should balance. If not, the total will be displayed in red.
Refer to the line items above to check and make necessary corrections.
Note: You can right click the order number cell and select "remove line"
option if you need to start over with a given title.
- Click "Finish" icon once again to complete process with
- Click "New invoice" button to proceed to next invoice
- When all invoices have been processed, click "Quit"
button to exit the payment file. Essential for posting.
Adding information to paper invoice copies
- Two copies of invoice are required. Make photocopies as needed.
Many vendors supply multiple copies.
- Date stamp invoice and yellow slip
- Add fund code to our copy of invoice.
- On yellow slip write: account number with fund code
(ex.5-2-41906-767), total amount, your initials. Staple to original invoice.
If invoice is split between two accounts, add subtotal on separate lines
with discrete account numbers. Total and initial. NOTE: Special fund
accounts (i.e.. e.. RA40 all translate to 761 for Acquisitions purposes).
- Staple yellow slip to lower left corner of front page of ORIGINAL
invoice. Note: If invoice is multiple pages, have last page with
totals appear first for easy review in Acquisitions.
- ORIGINAL copy with stabled yellow slip goes in folder for Acquisitions.
Use separate folders for each account with invoices in vendor and/or
publisher A-Z order.
- Second copy goes to waiting slot on file cabinet for filing.
Adding and deleting boxes when necessary
record is full (max. of 125 payments)
- If full, notice will pop up on screen with button to create new order
record. All information will be copied from existing to new record
- Close full order record by changing status fixed field to "d". Save and
- Put new order record number on invoice.
- Return to your invoice session and enter the new order
record number for payment.
If there is a title change
- If title on invoice and title on corresponding order
record bib do not match, first check physical piece to confirm change
- Open Serials module and search URSUS for new record.
It is very possible the record already exists and that the vendor has used
the obsolete order record number on the invoice.
- If record is not found on URSUS, request record download
- Continue to process the invoice, particularly if multiple
items on same invoice so as not to delay payment.
- When record is available, be sure to FOLLOW UP with
transfer of active order record to new bib record. Note that the
order record is locked and cannot be transferred until after posting.
If there is a credit memo to be applied to an invoice, follow
the procedures outlined in Credit Memo Processing
If there is a Z invoice to be entered:
Invoices that are paid by Susan C (Business Office), but
must be tracked in Millennium for budgeting purposes, are called Z invoices.
Follow steps at top of procedure for entering invoice
information with one EXCEPTION
Enter the invoice number, slash, space, Z (this tells the
system not to cut a check for this invoice, but tallies the amount against
the corresponding fund in the order record.)
The account codes list
outlines special handling information
Invoice Browse feature in Millennium Acquisitions
This feature not previously available in the ASCII version of the module
allows checking of processed invoices.
- Open MillAcq
- Select Invoice icon from left-hand icon bar
- Select browse invoices
- Type in invoice number in search box
To check amounts for split files, see S:Share/Mono Acq/Dailyposting/FY200x/[month]
for compiled information received from URSUS e-mail notification. Four
message are generated from afternoon posting.
Return to the Technical
Created by: Sharon Fitzgerald|