Procedures for Closing Serial Titles
urpose: To close out records representing our
holdings on URSUS. When the last volume or issues of a journal we no longer
will be receiving (ie. ceased publication, cancelled, or title change) returns from the
bindery, we need to delete the checkin card and update the remaining checkin so
it now serves as a holdings record.
Begin by logging onto Millennium Serials.
- Overlay the Bib record (Albie)
- Print a copy of the BIBLIOGRAPHIC record.
- Overlay with updated OCLC record to reflect the closed
- Edit the Order record (Jim)
- Unless you are working with a title
change where the order record will be transferred to the new title.
- Enter CDATE (date you are closing out
- Change STATUS (O) to Z (for cancelled)
- Edit the Checkin Record (note: normally during bindery returns process.
- Call up specific record by title
- Review the holdings statement to be sure it is complete
- Change location to bound periodicals (obper)
- Delete the checkin card
If title has a limited retention policy indicating ultimate discard, you
will need to suppress this title in URSUS if Orono only holdings
Return to the Technical
Created by: Library Staff |