Deleting On-the-Fly Items
Purpose: On-the-fly items are documents and books to facilitate
but are not linked to a full record. Most commonly, these items come
from the Government Documents collection. Occasionally, items from the
stacks will turn up without barcodes as well.
In these cases, Circulation creates a temporary
record called an on-the-fly record in order to check the item out to a
borrower. This temporary record typically consists of a brief bib
record in all caps with an item record attached. When the item is returned,
Cataloging staff transfer the item record to a viable bibliographic record
and delete the temporary bib record.
- From Millennium Catalog search screen, select (b) barcode index and
scan the item's barcode. Click Search or press Enter to call up the item
- If the call number begins with "St. Docs," set the item aside to
bring to Special Collections (they process their own on-the-fly items).
- Check the IMessage field in the item record. If IMessage = f,
then continue. If not, put the item aside as it is not an
- Keeping the bib record window open, toggle back to the search screen
and enter a title, author, call number, or ISBN search to find the
proper bibliographic record for the item. (See
Copy Cataloging: Pre-Cat URSUS Search for more information.)
- If the proper catalog record is not found, put the item aside for
OCLC copy cataloging and
bib record overlay. If the
record is found, continue:
- Toggle back to the on-the-fly record. (Note: selecting Tile
Horizontally or Tile Vertically from the Window menu will allow for
side-by-side display of both records).
- From the on-the-fly record, go to the Edit menu and select Transfer
Attached. The bib record # for the proper catalog record will appear as
an option. Select it.
- Select: Transfer All Attached Records, Delete Source Bib.*
- Close all windows, return to the search screen, and call up the item
again by scanning the barcode.
- Double check that the transfer was successful, and make sure that
all of the item record fields are correct: Location, Call number, Volume
(if applicable), Status, I-type.
- No statistics are kept on the number of on-the-fly records that are
deleted. However, statistics are kept on the number of items
that are newly linked to a bib record.
Overlaying a New Bibliographic Record from OCLC
If processing a particular on-the-fly item
requires the downloading of a new record from OCLC, follow the steps below:
- Begin as instructed in the Copy
- When entering the 949 command line, use the following format:
- xxxxxxxx = the bib record number of the on-the-fly record.
- If the item is not a monograph, replace the "b" in bi-b with
the appropriate material code.
- Do not add the remainder of the command line string normally used
when downloading and creating a new item record.
- Proceed, as usual, with Step 4 from the
Copy Cataloging procedures.
*If an error message appears stating that the item cannot be deleted
because it is still checked out, return the item to circulation.
It will come back to Cataloging in a few days ready for deletion.
Return to Technical Services procedures
| Revised: 05/12/2014