Relocations: Remove from Reference
Purpose: Monographs and serial volumes are regularly relocated
from the Reference collections as they become superseded by new materials.
The relevant catalog records require editing and the physical pieces
themselves require processing in order to reflect this location change.
Editing URSUS Records
Each title removed from reference comes to
cataloging with an RFR slip inserted (multivolume sets are accompanied by
only one slip). Read this slip carefully in order to determine correct
handling of the piece(s). Unless the slip indicates that there is a retention
policy in place, the relocation must have been approved (signed) by the Head
of Collections, Head of Reference, or any Science Librarian. Note: By
default, items coming from SciRef without slips have a retention policy in
place. If the slip indicates that the material is to be
discarded, set aside and process separately using the
The following instructions apply to the Cataloging
module of Millennium:
- From the Catalog Search screen, select the barcode index and use the
barcode reader to input the item's barcode. Item record View/Edit screen
- Change location from oref or osci to osta (for stacks),
ospc (Special Collections), odoc (Government Documents),
or other location code based on instructions given on the RFR slip.
- Change Status code from o (Library
Use Only) to - (Available).
Exception: if the piece is to become a Special Collections copy 1, it
remains Library Use Only.
- If piece is destined for a location requiring a prestamp: Special Collections,
Reference or SEC, add prestamp
above the call number and reprint a call number label. After
printing, delete the pre-stamp if Ref or SciRef as the location code
value above provides public display of location.
If the piece(s)
will reside in Government Documents, make sure that the appropriate
document number appears in the call number field and matches the label
on the piece(s) (see MARC field 086 in the bib record).
- Check the RFR slip for any desired changes to the Retention Policy
for the title. The Retention Policy appears in the lower portion
of the item or checkin record screen in a Note field. Edit or add new
Retention Policy as directed. Be sure that the new policy
is pasted into the latest volume of the title as well as the volume that
is being relocated.
- Save changes to the record.
- If no volumes of the title in question remain in Reference (or
SciRef), select Edit icon to proceed to the bib record. Otherwise,
proceed to "Processing Physical Pieces," below.
- Double-click on the Branch field in the bib record header. Click on
oref (or osci)
and click Remove Branch. Click OK.
- If no volumes of the title were previously held in the new location,
click Add Branch and enter oro
(regardless of location). Click OK.
- May need to change holdings note under checkin tab of record.
Example: "Latest held in Reference"
- Save changes to bib record.
Processing Physical Pieces
- Use a black marker to neatly cover the Ref
or Sci Ref pre-stamp on the call
number label. Tip: If label is covered with tape, trim small piece of
unprinted label to cover pre-stamp on books label and cover with another
piece of tape as marker will only rub off the tape.
- Some older pieces may have "Do Not Remove from Reference" labels on
the front cover. Remove these labels with a scraper. Black out
with a marker if removal is not possible.
- Record statistics for total number of titles,
volumes, and pieces
- Leave processed items on the stacks return truck just outside the
entrance to Technical Services. Circ staff will reshelve.
Safety Note on RFR Shelving Area in
The shelving used for RFR items is
freestanding and not anchored to the floor. To ensure safety, always remove
books from the topmost occupied shelf and proceed downward. Staff
delivering RFRs from other departments should always fill the shelves from
the bottom to the top.
Return to Technical Services procedures
| Revised: 01/24/2013