Creating Brief Bib Records for Gov Doc
Open Millenium Cataloging
For each new record:
- Click "New" button --
- Dialog boxes will open to guide you through each of the necessary fields:
- CAT DATE: Today's date
- y MARC: 074 __
- y MARC: 086 __
- t TITLE: 245 00 Enter the title from the slip.
- Capitalize only the first word of the title. Other than the first
word, only formal names are capitalized. (e.g. "245 00 Annual report and
achievements - Mining Enforcement and Safety Administration")
- If the title begins with an article (a, an, the) the second zero
in the MARC tag needs to be changed so that the article will be
ignored in searches. It should be changed to the number of
characters, including spaces, that should be skipped.
|If title begins with
||MARC tag will be
- The title will be compared to existing titles in URSUS. If
a matching or similar title is found, a window will open showing
potential duplicates. Close this window to continue.
- p PUBLISHER: 260 __
- If you are not absolutely sure about the publisher's location, leave the [Washington, D.C.?]
string as is. If you do know the location, enter it and remove the brackets and question
- |b Should contain the name of the governmental unit publishing the item and the names of
the higher levels of the administrative structure. These are listed beginning with the
highest authority (usually a cabinet-level department) descending to the unit producing
the material. The names of cabinet-level departments are formatted as "U.S. Dept. of
Defense" rather than "Defense Department." Lower-level offices and bureaus
are listed as "Office of _____" or "Bureau of _____." Research units
or laboratories with specific names are listed by name ("Jet Propulsion
- f FREQUENCY: 310 __ Irregular
"Irregular" is usually most approriate. The other most
common frequency for these materials is "Annual." Annual should only be
used if all parts are truly annual. Annual reports are annual, but a
record for all departmental reports including annual reports and other
reports of varying frequency should be listed as Irregular.
- *d SUBJECT: 610 10 United States. |b Dept. of Agriculture
610 20 National Institute of
- *b ALT AUTHOR: 710 1_ United States. |b Dept. of Agriculture
National Institute of Corrections (U.S.)
- r PHYS DESCR: 300 __ v.
- Review record for typos
- Click "Verify" button - "X" beside a field indicates there is probably a
problem with the field; otherwise, it is probably O.K. If you are
unsure you can go to the Tools menu and choose "Explain
Verification Codes." This give a very general explanation of what each
- Save the record.
- Write new Bibliographic record number on bottom of slip.
* For several of these steps it will be useful to have another record open
in URSUS for comparison and/or for copying and pasting. Searching by 086 field in URSUS will find
full records for items published by the same entity. Often the records will
be for the individual items you have in hand. These records are especially useful for fields 260, 610, and 710.
Return to Technical Services procedures