Assigning Cutter Number for UMaine Theses
Purpose: To expedite the process of assigning UMaine thesis Cutter
number by using the Cataloging Calculator.
- Go to the Cataloging Calculator webpage at
- Type in last name starting from the initial letter in
the search query field.
Check LC Cutter in search options box. Select first two or three digits
after the initial letter.
Exceptions: For local practice, if the initial letter of the last name
is a vowel (a, e, i, o, u) or starts with S, the cutter number uses two or three
(only in the case of Sch) alphabet letters followed by two or three digits. Type
in the last name starting from the second or third letter into Cataloger’s
Calculator query field. Only capitalize the initial letter.
- Check against local shelflist to see if the new call
number fits in. If not, make adjustment.
- Write down the Cutter number on the routing slip.
- Attach the bar code to the back of thesis.
Full Cataloging Procedures for UMaine Theses
Return to Technical Services procedures
Created by: Kang Cao |