Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department
Dwight B. Demeritt
Collection number: SpC MS 1732
Dates of collection: 1866-1998
Size of collection: 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
Provenance: Gift of Dwight B. Demeritt, Jr. in 2012.
Arrangement: Original order maintained.
Conservation note: Materials transferred to acid-free folders and storage containers.
Preferred citation: Dwight B. Demeritt collection, Special Collections Department, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine, Orono, Maine.
Restrictions on access and use: Stored in the library's remote storage area. One week's notice requested for retrieval.
Dwight B. Demeritt, Jr. graduated from the University of Maine in 1951 with a degree in History and Government. He is the author of several books including Maine Made Guns and Their Makers. He is an avid collector of materials related to the history of Maine and the other states where he has resided. His father, Dwight Burgess Demeritt (1898-1972), was also a published author and professor of forestry at various universities throughout the United States. Demeritt, Sr. served as Head of the Forestry Department at the University of Maine from 1934-1945 and as vice president and woodlands manager for the Dead River Company and Eastern Corporation of Bangor until his retirement in 1963.
Scope and Content Note
Postcards, photographs, newsclippings, brochures, photocopies and original documents related to the history of Mount Kineo House at Moosehead Lake and Maine logging and river driving.
Series 1 : Materials related to the Mount Kineo House
F01 Summary of Kineo House building and remodeling dates and an inventory of items collected
F02 Stereoscopic views, Moosehead Lake and vicinity
F03 News article, “Kineo splendor rising again from Moosehead Lake,” Moosehead Messenger, July 2, 1998
F04 Advertisements, as they appeared in The Maine Woods (photocopies), 1903-1918
F05 Postcards: Mt. Kineo Hotel
F06 Postcards: Moosehead Lake, Fly Rod Crosby
F07 Postcards: hotel winter scenes
F08 Postcards: hotel summer scenes, golf course, steamer, Club House, and cottages
F09 Postcards: hunting lodge scenes
F10 News article, “The Great Summer Resort,” Mining & Industrial Journal (photocopy), June 20, 1884 p.8
F11 Advertisement (photocopy), 1895
F12 Moosehead Lake, Steamer Governor Coburn, ledger pages (2 pages), 1875
F13 Mount Kineo House stationary, letters, 1866, 1875, 1885
F14 Souvenir programs, menus, 1885-1890
F15 The New Mount Kineo House brochure, three editions, ca. 1900-1917
F01 Brochure, the Somoset by the Sea, Rockland, and the Mount Kineo Hotel on Moosehead Lake, ca. 1930
F02 Mount Kineo House brochure
Series 2 : Materials related to Maine logging and river driving
F03 Stereoscopic views
F05 Postcards: mills, dams
F06 Postcards: logging camps, pulp wood piles
F07 Postcards: steam log haulers
F08 Postcards: log jams
F09 Postcards: log piles, waterfront scenes
F10 Penobscot Boom Corporation charter and bylaws, 1885
F11 Photograph, mills at West Great Works
F12 Letters, MG Shaw Lumber Co., 1906; Penobscot Lumber Association, 1912
Finding Aids for selected manuscript collections in the Special Collections Department at Fogler Library are accessible online in URSUS, in a browsable Guide to Manuscript Collections. Please contact Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 581-1686 for further information.