Arranged and described by Brenda Howitson Steeves
Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department
Introduction and Summary Information
Collection Title: Central Maine Power Company Collection.
Dates of the Collection: 1883-1965 (inclusive); 1902-1928 (bulk).
Provenance: Acquired in 1978.
Collection Number: MS 1008.
Size and Arrangement: The collection consists of 79.5 linear feet of ledgers + seven archival record cartons of material (7.25 cubic feet).
Conservation Note: Part of the collection has been re-housed in acid-free folders and boxes.
Preferred Citation: Central Maine Power Company Collection, Special Collections, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine.
Restrictions on Access and Use: Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
The collection contains records from 40 small electric companies established in Maine in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The companies subsequently were acquired by Central Maine Power Company between 1910 and 1965.
These records reflect the nature of the early electric power business in Maine. Maine’s rivers, with their changes in altitude between their source and sea level, led to the early development of hydroelectric power in the state. By the 1890’s, many communities had a small gas or electric company, often begun to furnish power for a few hours a day for street lighting. The companies were mostly locally owned, and each served only a few communities at best. Power transmission was limited to short distances by the use of direct-current technology. In a rural state like Maine, residential accounts were the last sought by these electric companies; they concentrated on street lighting, electric trolleys, and businesses until about 1910.
Central Maine Power Company (CMP) was founded in 1899 when Harvey D. Eaton, an attorney from Waterville, Maine, and Walter S. Wyman, an engineer, bought the Oakland Electric Company. This company, organized in 1887, owned a hydroelectric generator which provided street lighting and electricity to the community of Oakland, Maine.
Eaton and Wyman recognized early on the potential for generating electricity that Maine’s rivers provided. Around 1901 they offered a contract to the city of Waterville for street lighting using the name Messalonskee Electric Company; the company was chartered by the Maine legislature in 1905. During this time the partners issued bonds and stocks to raise capital to purchase other small companies and to build new power plants. The company’s name was changed to Central Maine Power Company in 1910, and in 1912 its main office moved from Waterville to Augusta. The company continued to acquire small hydroelectric companies and to develop new sites to supply hydropower. Between 1910 and 1917, CMP bought electric companies in Bingham, Dexter, Skowhegan, Vassalboro, Clinton, Corinna, Richmond and Waterville. Power plants were operating at Dennistown, Fairfield, Oakland, Belfast and Limerick. By 1919 CMP was serving over 21,000 customers.
In an effort to gain new financing, CMP in the 1920’s sold its stock to Samuel Insull’s Middle West Utilities holding company. Harvey Eaton also resigned as CMP president in January, 1924. By August, 1925, CMP’s board of directors included three Insull appointees, with Wyman and other CMP members in the remaining seats. CMP became part of the holding-company structure and was owned by New England Public Service Company. In return, the Insull company gave cash for CMP stock which could be used for further growth. With this money CMP was able to build two hydroelectric plants: the Gulf Island plant in Lewiston and the William S. Wyman station in Bingham and Moscow, plus a storage reservoir on the Moose River.
The Insull holding company collapsed in the early 1930’s and Wyman was forced to buy CMP stock from the Insull creditors, returning CMP control to local hands. Throughout these financial difficulties and those of the Great Depression, construction continued, with the hydroelectric plant at Solon, Maine, beginning operations in 1939, and construction beginning in 1940 on Mason Station, a steam plant in Wiscasset.
Walter Wyman died on November 15, 1942. CMP vice-president William B. Skelton succeeded him as president. A merger with the Cumberland County Power and Light Company late in 1942 made CMP the largest electric utility operating in northern New England.
The 1950’s through the 1990’s saw many changes in CMP operations. The company entered the nuclear power industry in 1954 when it joined with 11 other utility companies to form Yankee Atomic Electric Company, which built a nuclear plant in Rowe, Massachusetts. It also contributed to the cost of plants in Connecticut and Vermont and in the Maine Yankee Plant in Wiscasset, Maine. Financial problems, controversy and lack of public support for nuclear facilities eventually led CMP to withdraw from nuclear power projects, and in 1997 the decision was made to close Maine Yankee and begin its decommissioning process.
The 1990’s also brought about a re-structuring of the electric power industry. In 1997 the Maine legislature passed “An Act to Restructure the State’s Electric Industry,” whereby customers would be able to choose their electricity suppliers as of March 1, 2000. Utilities would no longer supply energy and were required to sell their non-nuclear generating assets. They were responsible only for operating, maintaining and repairing sub-stations and power lines.
The CMP Group holding company was created in 1998. In 1999 Florida-based FPL Energy bought 31 hydroelectric plants, three oil-fired plants, and one wood-fired plant from CMP. CMP thus left the electricity generation business and became responsible only for operating and maintaining the transmission and distribution system. In August, 2000 CMP Group merged with New York-based Energy East Corporation. In over 100 years of operation the company had grown tremendously, now delivering over 9 billion kilowatt hours of electricity to 570,000 customers in an 11,000 square mile area in central and southern Maine.
The researcher interested in the history of CMP may also want to consult the book, The Light from the River: Central Maine Power’s First Century of Service, published to mark the company’s centennial in 1999.
Scope and Content Note
The records of 40 small electric power companies later acquired by Central Maine Power Company make up this collection
Each company forms its own record group within the collection, and companies are listed in the order in which they were acquired by CMP. Records of only a few companies date after their acquisition by Central Maine Power. The earliest acquisition, of the Sebasticook Water Power Company, took place in 1911; the latest, of the Casco Bay Light & Power Company, took place in 1965.
Most companies have only a few volumes of records, reflecting their short existence before being acquired by CMP. The Kennebec Light and Heat Company, Androscoggin Electric Company, Cumberland County Power & Light Company, and Rumford Light Company have more extensive holdings.
Records for each company are primarily financial and include cashbooks, daybooks, voucher registers, journals, and ledgers. Payroll records, purchasing records, and operating journals are included for a few companies. Some companies have ledgers and balance sheets that reflect their finances and activities at the time of their mergers with CMP.
Information for each company, including a brief history and list of contents, follows. Each company also has a separate record in URSUS, the Library’s on-line catalog; therefore its assigned manuscript number is included in its description. In addition, the ledger number used as a location identifier has been added to each description.
List of Record Groups
1. Sebasticook Water Power Company (MS 457; Ledgers Se21)
The company was acquired by CMP in 1911.
Ledger Cashbook, Dec., 1902-Sept., 1911
Ledger Journal, Feb., 1905-Oct., 1911
Ledger Ledgers, 1905-1911 (2 vols.)
2. Kennebec Light and Heat Company (MS 272; Ledgers K37)
Located in Augusta, the company was incorporated in 1887 by Chapter 29 of the Private Laws of Maine. Its purpose was to manufacture gas and electricity for supplying light, heat and power to the city of Hallowell, Maine. George F. West, Daniel A. Cony and W.E. Maxcy were the original corporators. The act also authorized the newly-formed company to purchase the franchise, property, etc., of the Augusta Gas Light Company and the Gardiner Gas Light Company and to supply the communities of Augusta, Gardiner, Farmingdale, and Pittston. The company was acquired by CMP in 1911.
Ledger Letter books, 1899-1906, of outgoing correspondence of W.H. Williams, superintendent (5 vols.)
Ledger Cashbooks, 1887-1911 (17 vols.)
Ledger Trial balances, 1911
Ledger Journals, 1888-1905 (2 vols.)
Ledger Ledgers, 1887-1911 (8 vols.)
Ledger Purchase records, 1910-1911
Ledger New services laid, 1910
3. Halifax Power Company (Ledger B513)
CMP founders Eaton and Wyman bought land along the Sebasticook River in Winslow, Maine, and in 1907 built the Fort Halifax power plant there. In 1908 it began providing power to the Waterville, Augusta, and Lewiston interurban railway.
Ledger Combined cashbook and journal: accounts payable and receivable, 1909-1911
4. Bingham Electric Company (MS 53; Ledger B513)
This company was incorporated as the Bingham Electrical Company in 1907 by Chapter 105 of the Laws of Maine. It was authorized to make, sell, and supply electricity to the communities of Bingham, Moscow, and Concord and Pleasant Ridge Plantation. The company was acquired by CMP in 1911.
Ledger Cashbook, 1909-1911
5. Skowhegan Electric Light Company (MS 467; Ledgers Sk59)
The first incandescent lighting in Skowhegan was made possible by installing a generator in a local pulp mill in 1886. The Skowhegan Electric Light Company purchased this generator in 1887 and increased capacity. In 1889 it took over the operation of its competitor, the Union Electric and Power Company. In 1897 the company bought a water privilege and moved its generators to that site. The company was acquired by CMP in 1911; CMP continued to acquire water rights and completed construction of a dam and power station, Weston Station, in 1920.
Ledger Cashbooks, 1888-1911 (8 vols.)
Ledger Journals, 1888-1911 (11 vols.)
Ledger Ledgers, 1888-1911 (8 vols.)
Ledger Invoices to company, 1887-1888 (1 vol.)
6. Fairfield Junction Mills and Water Power Company (MS 172; Ledgers F161)
The company was incorporated in 1854 by Chapter 340 of the Acts of Maine, approved on April 14, 1854. The corporators were William Connor, Ezra Totman, Nahum Totman, Oliver Bragdon, Samuel Taylor, Jr., Henry C. Newhall, Samuel Judkins, and John Bradbury. Its purpose was to keep in repair and rebuild the dams at Kendall’s Mills on the Kennebec River in the town of Fairfield. It was also to regulate the water from the river used for manufacturing. The company’s office was in Waterville and it was acquired by CMP in 1911.
Ledger Combined journal and cashbook, 1899-1904
Ledger Journal, 1901-1951
Ledger Ledger, 1901-1951
7. Penobscot Bay Electric Company (MS 397; Ledgers P386a)
This company was incorporated in 1907 by Chapter 156 of the Acts of Maine. Albert H. Shaw of Bath, William M. Shaw of Greenville, and Melville H. Blackwell of Brunswick were the original corporators. Based in Orland, the company was authorized to supply electricity to Bucksport, Orland, Penobscot, Castine, Blue Hill, Winterport, Frankfort, Prospect, Stockton Springs, and Verona. In 1909, Penobscot purchased Belfast Light & Power Company, which had begun generating electricity in 1888. The company was absorbed by CMP in 1920.
Ledger Cashbooks, 1909-1921 (3 vols.)
Ledger Journals, 1916-1920 (2 vols.)
Ledger Ledgers, 1907-1920 (4 vols.)
Ledger Voucher record-journal, 1908-1916
8. Dover and Foxcroft Light and Heat Company (MS 145; Ledgers D751)
The company was incorporated by Chapter 25 of the Private and Special Laws of 1887. E.A. Thompson, J.B. Mayo, Willis E. Parsons, John F. Arnold, E.S. Favor, Joseph B. Peaks, J.A. Lander, H.M. Heath, Weston Lewis and J.S. Maxcy were the original corporators. The company was authorized to supply electricity to the towns of Dover and Foxcroft and those towns were authorized to enter into a contract with the company to supply street lighting. The company became part of Greenville Light & Power Company in 1914. Greenville became part of Penobscot Bay Electric Co. in 1915; Penobscot became part of CMP in 1920.
Ledger Ledgers, 1895-1916 (2 vols.)
Ledger Invoice books, 1895-1916 (8 vols.)
9. Bath Gas & Electric Company (MS 40; Ledgers B321)
The Bath Electric Light and Power Company was organized in 1887 and entered into a contract with the city of Bath shortly thereafter to supply lighting for a number of street lights. F.A. Sawyer was president of the company and Fritz H. Twitchell was treasurer. In 1890 it acquired the property of the Bath Gas Light Company and was reorganized as Bath Gas & Electric Company. Bath Gas & Electric became part of Sagadahoc Light & Power Company in 1900. This company became part of Bath & Brunswick Light & Power Company in 1910. Bath & Brunswick became part of CMP in 1920.
Ledger Cash receipts, Bath Gas properties, 1894-1898
Ledger Journal, 1890-1898
10. Hartland Electric Light and Power Company (MS 227; Ledgers H255)
The company was acquired by CMP in 1920.
Ledger Journal, maintenance account, 1911-1915
Ledger Journals, 1916-1920 (2 vols.)
Ledger Ledger, 1916-1920
Ledger Journal and voucher register (CMP), 1920
11. Newport Light & Power Company (MS 363; Ledgers N472)
Organized sometime before 1903 and located in Newport, Maine, the company was authorized to sell gas and electricity in the towns of Newport, Plymouth, Detroit, and Palmyra. This company was acquired by CMP in 1920.
Ledger Cashbook, Oct., 1916-Jan., 1921
Ledger Journal, Oct., 1916-Dec., 1920
Ledger Ledger, 1916-1920
Ledger Sub-ledger, July, 1917-Dec., 1920; voucher register, July, 1917-Dec., 1919; operating journal, 1920
Ledger Purchase ledger, 1912-1923
12. Union Electric Power Company (MS 594; Ledgers Un3)
The company, located in Lewiston, Maine, was acquired by CMP in 1920.
Records of Union Electric Company
Ledger Cashbook, 1910-1925
Ledger Journal, 1910-1924
Ledger Ledger, 1910-1924
Records of Union Light & Power Company
Ledger Cash – A (Cashbook), Mar., 1916-Jan., 1921
Ledger Journal, Nov., 1915-Dec., 1920
Ledger Ledger, Nov., 1915-Dec., 1920
Ledger Journal and voucher register, 1920 (CMP)
13. Waldoboro Water and Electric Light and Power Company (MS 610; Ledgers W147)
This company was incorporated by Chapter 590 of the 1893 Private and Special Laws of Maine. George Bliss, Edwin O. Clark, Lincoln L. Kennedy, Hiram Bliss, Levitt Storer, George W. Young, Theodore S. Brown, A.R.G. Smith, A.R. Nickerson, and T.F. Turner were the original corporators. The company was authorized to furnish both water and electric light to the village of Waldoboro. After acquiring a former flour mill and its privilege, the company put in a new turbine water wheel and starting supplying electricity for lights in the village in 1902 The company was acquired by CMP in 1920.
Ledger Cash-B [Cashbook], 1916-1920
Ledger Journals, 1893-1906; Nov., 1915-Dec., 1920 (2 vols.)
Ledger Ledgers, 1901-1906; Nov., 1915-Dec., 1920 (2 vols.)
Ledger Journal and voucher register, 1920
14. Wiscasset Light and Power Company (MS 635; Ledgers W752)
The company was incorporated by Chapter 175 of the Acts of 1911, approved March 22, 1911. The original corporators were E. Fred Albee, H.W. Hawes, Charles L. Macurda, Enoch Leathers, C.E. Emerson, E.S. Perkins, A.W. Kierstead, W.G. Hubbard and A.H. Dodge. The company was authorized to supply electricity to the town of Wiscasset and also to buy electricity from the Portland Power and Development Company, located in Damariscotta Mills. Wiscasset Light and Power Company was acquired by CMP in 1920.
Ledger Cashbook, Apr., 1912-1916 [for Wiscasset Electric Company]
Ledger Cashbook, 1916-1920
Ledger Journal, 1916-1920
Ledger Operating journal, 1920
15. Knox County Electric Company (MS 282; Ledgers K77)
This company was chartered by Chapter 193 of the Acts of 1891 as the Rockland, Thomaston and Camden Street Railway. Its name was changed to the Knox County Electric Company sometime around 1919. The company was acquired by CMP in 1921.
Ledger Journal and voucher register, 1920-1921
Ledger Sub-ledger, 1920-1921
Ledger Payroll, 1920
16. Readfield Light & Power Company (MS 427; Ledgers R221)
The company, located in Readfield, Maine, was authorized by Chapter 173 of the Acts of 1911 to supply gas and electricity to the communities of Readfield, Mount Vernon and Vienna, and to supply water to Readfield and Mount Vernon. The company was acquired by CMP in 1921.
Ledger Cashbooks, 1910-1915; Dec., 1919-1921 (2 vols.)
Ledger Trial balances, 1915-1918
Ledger Journal, 1919-1920
Ledger Ledgers, 1910-1915; 1915-1921 (2 vols.)
Ledger Operating journal, July, 1915-Dec., 1918
17. Winthrop & Wayne Light & Power Company (MS 634; Ledgers W737)
The company was acquired by CMP in 1921.
Ledger Cash receipts, Dec. 1917-1919; 1919-1920 (2 vols.)
Ledger Cash disbursements, 1916-1920
Ledger Cashbook, July, 1920-Aug., 1921
Ledger Voucher register, June, 1915-June, 1920
Ledger Journal, Dec., 1915-Dec., 1920
Ledger Ledger, June, 1915-Aug., 1921
Ledger Operating journal, 1921
18. Oxford Electric Company (MS 380; Ledgers Ox2)
Originally formed as the Norway and Paris Street Railway, the company also purchased property and rights to supply electric power to the towns of Norway, Paris, and Mechanic Falls. The company had two divisions, the Mechanic Falls Division and the Norway & Paris Division. It stopped service on its street railway in 1918 and was absorbed by CMP in 1921.
Ledger Cashbooks & cash disbursed, 1915-1919 (2 vols.)
Ledger Cash receipts, Norway, 1916-1919
Ledger Cashbook, 1920-1921
Ledger Trial balances, 1915-1920
Ledger Accounts payable register, 1916-1919
Ledger Distribution ledgers, 1916-1921 (5 vols.)
Ledger Voucher register, 1920
Ledger Ledgers, 1915-1921 (2 vols.)
Ledger Operating journal (CMP), 1920-1921
19. Mechanic Falls Electric Light Company (MS 337; Ledgers M464)
This company, originally called Mechanic Falls Water & Electric Light & Power Company, was incorporated by Chapter 511 of the Acts of 1889. The original corporators were Josiah A. Bucknam, E. Adron Gammon, J. Judson Bucknam, William H. Whitcomb, Henry M. Beane and F.O. Purington. Located in Minot, it was to furnish water and electricity to the towns of Minot and Poland. Chapter 88 of the Acts of 1899 changed the place of business of the company to Mechanic Falls and its business was extended to the towns of Minot, Poland, and Mechanic Falls. It later became Mechanic Falls Electric Light Company and became a division of Oxford Electric Company in 1916. Oxford was acquired by CMP in 1921.
Ledger Cashbook, Nov., 1905-Jan., 1915
Ledger Trial balances, 1907-1915
Ledger Ledgers, May, 1898-June, 1916 (3 vols.)
20. Yarmouth Electric Company (MS 641; Ledgers Ya2)
The company was acquired by CMP in 1921.
Ledger Cashbook, Apr.-Aug., 1921
Ledger Ledger, Apr.-July, 1921
Ledger Operating journal, Mar.-July, 1921
21. Maine Power Corporation (MS 319; Ledgers M284p)
The company was formed sometime before 1920 to do business in the town of Lisbon. It was acquired by CMP in 1921.
Ledger Cashbook, July, 1920-July, 1921
Ledger Journal, Apr.-Dec., 1920
Ledger Ledger, Apr., 1920-July, 1921
Ledger Operating journal, July, 1920-July, 1921
22. Robinson Land Company (MS 438; Ledgers R561L)
This company was formed by Harvey Eaton and William Wyman to acquire property in Bingham and Moscow for future hydroelectric development. The company was acquired by CMP in 1921.
Ledger Cashbook and journal, May, 1910-Dec., 1917
Ledger Ledger, May, 1910-Dec., 1917
Ledger Cashbook, 1918-1921
Ledger Journal, 1918-1921
Ledger Ledger, 1918-1921
23. Western Maine Power Company (MS 623; Ledgers W524)
Western Maine Power Company, called the Limerick Water and Electric Company until 1916, became part of CMP in 1927.
Ledger Stock certificate ledger, 1925-1926
Ledger Temporary receipts, bond, 1919
Ledger Bills payable, 1924-1926 [information re notes of company]
Ledger Statement record, 1924-1926 [profit and loss statements]
Ledger Distribution record, 1023-1927
Ledger Plant ledger, 1917-1926
Ledger Sub-ledger, 1926
Ledger General ledger transfer cards, 1917-1922; 1923-June, 1926 (2 vols.)
Ledger Cash trans. cards, vo. register trans. cards, Dec., 1925-June, 1926
Ledger Cashbook, July, 1926-Dec., 1927
Ledger Journal, July, 1925-June, 1926
23. Western Maine Power Company cont.
Ledger Ledger A, June, 1926-Dec., 1927
Ledger Limerick Water & Electric Co., Western Maine Power Co.: Payroll distribution, Mar., 1916-May, 1921
Ledger Payroll, 1923-1926
Ledger Operating journal and voucher register (CMP), 1926-1927 Bridgton office
Ledger General records: cash, vouchers, journal, payroll, 1932-1926
Ledger General ledger, 1923-1926
24. Limerick Water and Electric Company (MS 297; Ledgers L629)
The company was incorporated by Chapter 159 of the Acts of 1907, approved March 6, 1907. Original corporators were John F. Moore, Charles G. Moulton, Charles H. Adams, Ira H. Moore, Ralph Clark and J. Merrill Lord. The company was authorized to furnish water and electricity or gas in the towns of Limerick, Newfield and Waterboro. The company constructed a dam and hydroelectric power station at a point known as Ledgemere on the Little Ossipee River between Limerick and Waterboro. The company became the Western Maine Power Company in 1916; this company was absorbed by CMP in 1927.
Ledger Stock ledger, 1917-1926
Ledger Cashbook, 1907-1917
Ledger Trial balance book, 1909-1916
Ledger Journal, 1907-1925
Ledger Ledger, 1907-1915
Ledger Construction journal, 1907-1914
Ledger Operating journal, 1909-1914
Ledger Distribution ledger, 1915
Ledger Voucher record, general ledger, 1915-1917
Ledger Bills payable, 1908-1917 (Limerick Water & Electric Co.); 1917-1924 (Western Maine Power Co.)
Ledger Check and deposit register, 1907-1910
25. Hiram Water, Light and Power Company (MS 247; Ledgers H614)
The company, located in Limerick, Maine, was incorporated by Chapter 184 of the Acts of 1909, approved March 16, 1909. The original corporators were E.W. Bosworth, Charles E. Wilson, Albert F. Berry, L.E. Kendall, and J. Merrill Lord. Its purpose was to furnish water and make, generate, and supply gas or electricity or both in the towns of Hiram and Baldwin. It was consolidated with the Western Maine Power Company in 1917. Western Maine Power became part of CMP in 1927.
Ledger Journal and voucher record, 1915-1917
Ledger Ledger, 1915-1917
26. Bridgton Water & Electric Company (MS 71; Ledgers 764)
The Bridgton Water Company was incorporated by Chapter 318 of the Acts of 1901. Winford M. Staples, Albion H. Burnham, Fred C. Knight, C.E. Gleason, and W.L. Haskell of Bridgton, and E.E. Goodwin, Willis E. Sanborn and Charles A. Bodwell of Sanford were the original corporators. The company was authorized to supply water to the residents of Bridgton. The charter of the company was amended by Chapter 2 of the Acts of 1902 to authorize the company to acquire the property of the Bridgton & Harrison Electric Company and to change its name to the Bridgton Water and Electric Company. The company was sold to the Western Maine Power Company in 1923; Western Maine became part of CMP in 1927.
Ledger Ledgers, 1901-1923 (2 vols.)
27. Fryeburg Electric Light Company (MS 193; Ledgers F897)
The organization of this company was ratified and confirmed by Chapter 177 of the Acts of 1903, approved March 17, 1903. This act gave the company permission to sell gas and electricity within the town of Fryeburg provided it purchased the already existing electrical plant operating within the town. The company was acquired by CMP in 1927.
Ledger Cashbooks, 1914-1927 (5 vols.)
Ledger Voucher register, 1914-1927
Ledger Journal, 1914-1926
Ledger Ledgers, 1903-1927 (4 vols.)
Ledger Revenue reports, 1927
Ledger Operating journal, 1926-1927; sub-ledger, 1926
28. Black Stream Electric Company (MS 56; Ledgers B5615)
The company was authorized by the Maine General Laws to generate and distribute electricity and gas and to distribute water in the towns of Carmel, Hermon, Etna and Levant. It was absorbed by CMP in 1927.
Ledger Cashbook, 1922-1927
Ledger Journal, 1920-1926
Ledger Ledger, 1922-1927
Ledger Operating journal, 1926-1927; sub-ledger, 1926; trial balances, 1926
29. Androscoggin Electric Company (MS 644; Ledgers An29)
The company was incorporated by Chapter 177 of the Acts of 1913, approved March 25, 1913. Original corporators were Winfield S. Libbey, Henry M. Dingley, Harold S. Libbey and J.E. Parkhurst of Lewiston, and John A. Morrill of Auburn. With its principal office in Lewiston, the company was authorized to manufacture and sell electricity in Androscoggin County and also was authorized to acquire the Mechanic Falls Electric Light Company and the Portland, Gray and Lewiston Railroad Company. This electric trolley line operated between Lewiston and Portland from 1914 until 1933 when CMP left the inter-urban trolley business. In 1914 the company also acquired the Lewiston & Auburn Electric Light Co. and in 1935 acquired Livermore Falls Light & Power Co. and Turner Light & Power Co. CMP purchased Androscoggin Electric in 1920.
Ledger Stock journal, stock ledger, 1914-1920 (2 vols.)
Ledger Cash received book no. 2-6, 1915-1925 (5 vols.)
Ledger Cash received railway book no. 10-11, 1919-1925 (2 vols.)
Ledger Cashbook A & B, 1921-1935 (2 vols.)
Ledger Cashbook, Androscoggin Electric Corp., 1920-1935
Ledger Cash receipts, Androscoggin Electric Corp., 1935 (2 vols.)
Ledger Voucher register, cash disbursements, etc., 1913-1921 (2 vols.)
Ledger Cash disbursements, Androscoggin Electric Corp., 1935 (2 vols.)
Ledger Voucher register, 1915-1920
Ledger Journal and voucher register, Androscoggin Electric Corp., 1935
Ledger Journal and ledger, Androscoggin Electric Corp., 1920-1935 (2 vols.)
Ledger Operating accounts sub-ledger, 1918-1919 (2 vols.)
Ledger Fixed capital sub-ledger, 1915-1919
Ledger Transfer revenue and expense sub-ledger, 1935
Ledger Operating expense ledger, 1916-1920 (2 vols.)
Ledger General ledger, 1915-1935 (6 vols.)
Ledger Accts. rec., suspense & sundry billing recap., 1935
Ledger Bank deposits & withdrawals, 1915-1921
30. Lewiston and Auburn Electric Light Company (MS 295; Ledgers L585)
The company was located in Auburn, Maine. In the 1880’s, its president was George C. Wing and its treasurer was N.I. Jordan. It became part of Androscoggin Electric Company in 1914. Androscoggin was acquired by CMP in 1935.
Ledger Dividend book, 1884-1896
Ledger Cashbooks, 1899-1913 (2 vols.)
Ledger Cashbook, jobbing stock, 1907-1913
Ledger Ledgers, 1901-1915 (3 vols.)
Ledger Cash disbursements, Jan.-June, 1915; journal, May, 1915
31. Livermore Falls Light & Power Company (MS 302; Ledgers L751)
The company was incorporated by Chapter 472 of the Acts of 1897, approved March 20, 1897. John H. Maxwell, William A. Stuart, John L. Cummings, Daniel J. Bogan and Edmund Eaton were the original corporators. Chapter 101 of 1899 extended the company’s charter for two more years. Located in East Livermore, the company was authorized to supply electricity to East Livermore, Livermore and Jay. In 1899 Edwin Riley was president, John H. Maxwell, secretary and treasurer, and Waldo Pettingill was auditor. The company became part of Androscoggin Electric Company in 1935; Androscoggin Electric was acquired by CMP in 1935.
Ledger Cashbooks, 1910, 1911, 1935 (3 vols.)
Ledger Ledger, 1916-1923
Ledger Ledger, 1929
Ledger Ledger, 1929-1930
Ledger Cash disbursements, voucher register, 1931
Ledger Voucher register-journal, invoice register-journal (CMP), 1932-1934
32. Dennistown Power Company (MS 137; Ledgers D425)
The company, located in Jackman, Maine, was acquired by CMP in 1935.
Ledger Construction ledger, 1913
Ledger Cashbooks, 1913; 1931-1932 (2 vols.)
Ledger Journals, 1913-1935 (7 vols.)
Ledger Ledgers, 1915-1922 (7 vols.)
Ledger General ledger transfer sheets, 1923-1929 (incomplete)
Ledger General ledgers, 1929-1935 (2 vols.)
Ledger Voucher register and journal, 1935 (2 vols.)
33. Waterford Light and Power Company (MS 617; Ledgers W291)
The company merged with CMP as of July 31, 1935.
Ledger Journal, Dec., 1931-Dec., 1934
Ledger Ledgers, 1931-1935 (2 vols.)
34. Mount Vernon Light & Power Company (MS 355; Ledgers M863)
The company, located in Mount Vernon, Maine, served customers in the communities of Mount Vernon, Rome and Vienna. Its distribution plant was acquired by CMP in 1940.
Ledger Cash receipts and disbursements, 1928-1931
Ledger Voucher register, 1928-1931
Ledger General journal, 1928-1931
Ledger Ledger, 1928-1931
Ledger General ledger, cashbook, voucher register, journal, 1932-1940
Ledger Property valuation, distribution inventory (CMP), 1939
35. Cumberland County Power & Light Company (MS 120; Ledgers C91)
Located in Portland, Maine, the company was incorporated by Chapter 256 of the Acts of 1907, approved March 14, 1907. Newell T. Fogg, Thomas Leigh, George A. Goodwin, C.E. Mitchell, and Scott Wilson were the original corporators. The company was authorized to sell electricity in York County except in the town of Sanford and in Cumberland County except in the town of Bridgton. The company was acquired by CMP in 1942, adding 37 communities to CMP’s service area. Also included were gas customers in Biddeford and Saco, and the buses operating in Portland, Westbrook, and South Portland.
Ledger Invoices and accounts payable register, 1939-1942 (13 vols.)
Ledger Voucher registers, 1912-1930 (9 vols.)
Ledger Journal and ledger, 1907 (2 vols.)
Ledger Journals, 1936-1942 (8 vols.)
Ledger General ledgers, 1912-1942 (6 vols.)
Ledger Plant ledger no. 2, 1912-1942
Ledger Liabilities, income, transfer ledger, 1915-1926
Ledger Work order estimates no. 403 to 657, 1916-1922; Westbrook Electric Co. estimates no. 1 to 8, 1916-1920
36. Consolidated Electric Light Company of Maine (MS 103; Ledger C766)
This company began supplying electricity to the Portland, Maine, area in 1883, using three steam-driven generators. It became part of the Portland Electric Company in 1912. This company became part of Cumberland County Power & Light Company in 1912. Cumberland became part of CMP in 1942.
Ledger Letter book, 1908-1909 (copies of outgoing correspondence of P.H. Burrowes, Assistant Treasurer)
37. Ossippee Valley Power Company (MS 378; Ledger Os28)
The company was incorporated by Chapter 258 of the Private and Special Laws of 1907, approved February 15, 1907. Corporators were Charles A. Bodwell, Will J. Bodwell and Stillman A. Bodwell. The company was authorized to develop waterpower on the Little Ossipee River and its tributaries in York County and to sell electricity to the towns of Shapleigh, Newfield, Limington, Waterboro and Alfred. The company became part of the Cumberland County Power & Light Company in 1913; Cumberland was acquired by CMP in 1942.
Ledger General ledger, July, 1911-Aug., 1913
38. Rumford Light Company (MS 443; Ledgers R865)
In 1892 Hugh Chisholm, the founder of International Paper Company, and his associates established the Rumford Falls Light and Water Company in Rumford, Maine. Its organization was ratified by Chapter 365 of the Acts of 1893 and it was authorized to do business in the towns of Rumford, Mexico and Peru. Its name was changed to the Rumford Light Company in 1947. It was purchased by CMP in 1958; CMP brought an electric transmission line into Rumford, thus connecting it with CMP’s integrated system in southern Maine.
Ledger Accounts payable, 1913-1958 (22 vols.)
Ledger Cashbooks, 1896-1959 (23 vols.)
Ledger Monthly statements, 1893-1957 (18 vols.)
Ledger Journals, 1892-1941 (11 vols.)
Ledger Ledgers, 1892-1917, 1934-1958 (3 vols.)
39. Cornish & Kezar Falls Light & Power Company (MS 115; Ledgers C816)
The company was acquired by CMP in 1965.
Ledger Daybooks, 1902-1920 (3 vols.)
Ledger Journals, 1924-1943 (4 vols.)
Ledger Ledger, Electric Supply Company, Kezar Falls, Maine, 1903-1906
Ledger Ledgers, 1903-1923 (6 vols.)
Ledger General ledger #1-3, 1924-1965 (3 vols.)
Ledger Cash ledger #1-5, 1915-1965 (6 vols.)
40. Casco Bay Light & Power Company (MS 87; Ledgers C266)
Formed as the Peaks Island Corporation, this company provided electric power and water on Peaks Island, Maine, from 1922 to 1927. In 1927 it became the Casco Bay Light & Water Company, and in 1941 its name changed to the Casco Bay Light & Power Company. It was acquired by CMP in 1965.
Ledger General records, 1922-1929 (Peaks Island Corp.)
Ledger General records, 1930-1963 (5 vols.)
Ledger General records, 1964-1965; voucher record, 1961-1964
41. Miscellaneous ledgers
Central Maine Power Company (MS 41; Ledgers B3215)
Ledger Pole records in Bath, Maine, 1938-1947
Central Construction Corporation (MS 89; Ledgers C333)
The company was organized in 1921 as a general contracting, engineering and construction business. Harold D. Jennings was president and Walter Wyman was treasurer; Harold Jennings, Walter Wyman and Everett H. Maxcy were the directors. In a 1921 memo from Maxcy to John Everett, auditor at CMP, Maxcy indicates that Central Construction would join CMP’s new mortgage and as it acquired valuable properties would convey them to the Trustee.
Ledger Journal, 1921-1922
Ledger Ledger, 1921
Ledger Work order estimate and cost, 1926-1927
Finding Aids for selected manuscript collections in the Special Collections Department at Fogler Library are accessible online in URSUS, in a browsable Guide to Manuscript Collections. Please contact Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 581-1686 for further information.