Arranged and described by Brenda Howitson Steeves
Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department
Introduction and Summary Information
Collection Title: Androscoggin & Kennebec Railroad Company Records.
Dates of the Collection: 1847-1870 (inclusive); 1850-1856 (bulk).
Provenance: These records came to the Special Collections Department, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine as a gift in 1974.
Collection Number: MS 19.
Box Numbers: 1-2 (formerly Box 399).
Size and Arrangement: The collection consists of two document boxes of material
(1 cubic foot).
Conservation Note: The collection has been re-housed in acid-free folders and boxes. Documents have been surface cleaned as needed.
Preferred Citation: Androscoggin & Kennebec Railroad Company Records, Special Collections, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine.
Restrictions on Access and Use: Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
The collection contains records from the treasurer's office of the Androscoggin & Kennebec Railroad Company of Waterville, Maine.
The company was chartered in 1845 and organized in 1847. It had 13 directors, with Timothy Boutelle serving as the first president and Edwin Noyes as treasurer. The stock in the company was owned almost entirely by people from Maine; earnings were always disappointing and the stock never paid a dividend. The line was planned to run from near Lewiston, Maine to Waterville, and was to be built in three sections, all to be completed by July, 1849. It was to intersect with the Atlantic & St. Lawrence, running from Portland to Montreal, at Danville Junction. The estimated cost of the line was set at $1,000,000, but final costs were close to $2,000,000. The section from Danville Junction to Lewiston opened in December, 1848; that to Winthrop in July, 1849; and the final section to Waterville in December, 1849, for a total of 55 miles of track. The Androscoggin & Kennebec also ran a stage line between Augusta and Belgrade to connect with the train line.
The company chose to install a broad gauge track, which led to difficulties in connecting to other narrow gauge railroads being built at the same time, especially the Penobscot and Kennebec Railroad running to Bangor. This railroad, planned to run from the Kennebec River to Bangor, had been chartered in the same year as the Androscoggin & Kennebec. The railroad opened to Bangor in 1855 and in 1856 was leased to the Androscoggin & Kennebec, which operated it until 1862.
In 1862 the directors of the Androscoggin & Kennebec and the Penobscot and Kennebec agreed to consolidate under the name of Maine Central Railroad Company.
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists primarily of records of the treasurer';s office of the railroad. Especially represented are records of Isaac Redington, treasurer in the early 1850';s, and S. Stark, treasurer in 1854 and 1855.
The collection contains legal documents, 1850-1858, mostly writs of attachment and a few deeds. A small group of Maine Central Railroad writs, 1866-1870, is also included. These are followed by folders with information about company stocks, notes, and other financial dealings, 1849-1856. The largest section of the collection is made up of bills and receipts, 1849-1856, paid by the company's treasurer. These include payment for time spent working on railroad stations, clearing the roadway, surveying, etc.; for supplies needed to operate and maintain the line; and for wood cut for use of the railroad.
1 Charter and bylaws, 1845-1847
2 Legal documents, 1850-1852
3 Legal documents, 1853-1858
4 Maine Central Railroad writs of attachment, 1866-1870
5 Stocks, notes and other financial information, 1849-1853
6 Stocks, notes and other financial information, 1854
7 William Willis in a/c with A & K Railroad, 1853-1854
8 Stocks, notes and other financial information, 1855-1856, undated
9 Bills and receipts, 1849
10-12 Bills and receipts, 1850
13-14 Bills and receipts, 1851
15 Bills and receipts, 1852
16 Bills and receipts, 1853
17 Bills and receipts, 1854
1 Payroll receipts, 1853-1854
2-3 Bills and receipts, 1855
4 Bills and receipts, 1856
5 Miscellaneous bills and receipts, undated
Finding Aids for selected manuscript collections in the Special Collections Department at Fogler Library are accessible online in URSUS, in a browsable Guide to Manuscript Collections. Please contact Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 581-1686 for further information.