Databases: find journal articles, technical reports,
TRID: the TIRS & ITRD Database.
TRID is the world's largest and most comprehensive bibliographic resource on
transportation research information. It is produced and maintained by the
Transportation Research Board of the US National Academies with sponsorship
by State Departments of Transportation, the various administrations at the
U.S. Department of Transportation, and other sponsors of TRB's core
technical activities. ITRD is produced by ITRD member organizations under
the sponsorship of Joint Transport Research Centre (collectively JTRC) of
the International Transport Forum and Organisation for Economic Cooperation
and Development (OECD) and ITRD. TRID covers all modes and disciplines of
transportation and contains more than 900,000 records of published research.
Over 64,000 records contain links to full-text documents. A
is available to download and provide guidance on
- Academic Search Complete. Provides full text for over 3,200 scholarly publications.
- Document Database. Provides indexing
and access to the full text of technical reports on fuel cells, hybrid
vehicles, alternative fuels, etc. Produced by the Dept. of
Energy, Clean Cities
Fuels Data Center. Document Database.
- ASCE Civil Engineering Database
(CEDB). ASCE's CEDB covers bibliographic records of ASCE documents
published back to 1958, including journals, conference proceedings,
books, standards, manuals, magazines, and newsletters. Some full-text
- Business Source Complete. Provides full text for over 2500 business
- Defense Technical Information
Center (DTIC) Scientific and Technical Information Network.
PARTIAL FULL TEXT DATABASE. Access to all unclassified, unlimited citations to documents added
from late December 1974 to present, many from 1998 to present in
- DOE Data Explorer.
Indexes raw data collections funded in whole or in part by the U.S.
Department of Energy. Data collections reside at national laboratories, data
centers, user facilities, colleges and universities, or the Web sites of
professional organizations, consortiums, corporate institutions, or
scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books,
preprints, abstracts and technical reports. Google Scholar
includes articles from a variety of academic publishers, professional
societies, preprint repositories and universities. They rank results
based on their relevance criteria.
- Ingenta (Formerly UnCover).
Coverage is 1988 - Present.
Premier. Provides full text for over 1,830 general
reference, business, consumer health, general science. Full text
extends back to January, 1990. Indexing and abstracts is
available for an additional 1,000 journals.
Technical Report Server (NTRS). This database collects,
archives, and disseminates aerospace information produced by NASA and
other relevant worldwide research.
- National Transportation
Library. Subject concentrations include general transportation, surface,
and water transportation. Special topics include: bridge construction and
maintenance, driver studies, engineering, highways and highway safety,
history of transportation, land utilization, marine engineering, mass
transit, merchant marine, navigation, oceanography, pipelines, railroads,
ships and shipbuilding, statistics, traffic engineering, traffic surveys and
forecasts, urban transportation, and waterways One of the NTL’s
fastest-growing collections is exclusively digital, serving as a permanent
archive for statistical, technical, research and policy documents required
by researchers and decision makers and provided to NTL by federal, state,
local, tribal and other government agencies. The Library also maintains a
sizable law collection. It includes general legal materials, with a
specialty in government administration, as well as materials specifically
related to transportation law.
- National Standards Systems Network (NSSN).
Index to engineering standards.
- National Technical
Information Service (NTIS) Database. Contains over 2.0 million
bibliographic records to research reports, computer products, software,
video cassettes, audio cassettes and more from the latest research
sponsored by the United States and select foreign governments. The
complete electronic file dates back to 1964. Most records include
abstracts. Full text to research reports may be purchased from NTIS
using the links in the bibliographic records.
- Science Accelerator, Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy. Search collections of DOE research results, project descriptions, and accomplishments. These collections enable you to find out about ongoing research projects, explore significant DOE discoveries, learn about DOE Nobel Prize Winners, access and search scientific e-prints, locate science conference papers and proceedings, patents, and more.
5.0. A free, integrated single-search gateway to reliable science and
technology information from 17 organizations within 13 federal science
agencies - access to over 200 million pages of scientific information.
of Maine. Department of Transportation. They have a publications
page which has some recent reports in PDF format.
- TechStreet: Technical
Information Superstore. Most comprehensive index for
engineering standards. Also indexes books, materials physical
property data, software and free professional trade magazines.
- TranStats: The Intermodal
Transportation Database. Database provided by the Bureau of
Transportation Statistics, U.S. DOT.
- TRB Publications
Index. 1970's to present. Indexes all NCHRP and TRB publications.
- TRB Research in Progress. Contains over 6,000 projects. Most of these have received state or
- U.S. Dept. of Energy. Scientific and
Dept. of Transportation. Online Publications. Search Page
- U.S. Patent
database. See also the
Patent and Trademark Resource Center web site.
Transportation Research Board. Publications.
Fogler owns almost all of their publications and now many are freely
available on the Internet. They publish several technical reports series that
disseminate important transportation research results. Use the TRB Publications
Index or the URSUS online catalog to locate reports on your topic. They
also make available the Research in Progress
Database. This includes over 6,000 projects. Most of these have
received state or federal funding.
Technical report series of the TRB: See
National Cooperative Highway Research Program.
Cooperative Highway Research Program. Research Results Digest.
Cooperative Highway Research Program. Web Documents
Reports. (Most are located at TE1.N25 or check URSUS)
Synthesis of Highway Practice (TE7.H51)
Synthesis of Transit Practice
Transit Cooperative Research Program.
Cooperative Research Program. Research Results Digest.
Cooperative Research Program. Web Documents
Research Board. Special Report. (TE1.N25)
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Access Science. Online version of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology and the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms. Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.
- Bartleby.com. Dictionaries,
thesaurus, quotations, etc.
Encyclopedia, almanac, atlas, dictionary and thesaurus in one resource
with good science and technology coverage.
and science awards page.
Selected Internet Sites and Reports