Databases: find journal articles,
technical reports, standards, etc.
- Academic Search Complete. Provides full text for over 3,200 scholarly publications.
- Bitpipe.com. IT professional's guide to information technology resources. Browse this free online library for the latest technical white papers, webcasts and product information to help you make intelligent IT product purchasing decisions.
- Business Source Complete. Provides full text for over 2500 business
- IEEE Xplore. Index to IEEE and IET publications
in electrical engineering, computer science, and electronics. Full text of IEEE
and IET journals, conference proceedings and standards is available at Fogler Library.
- ACM Digital Library. Registration
is free, but full-text is for ACM members only.
- Citeseer.com. Scientific
Literature Digital Library. NEC Corp. Indexes Postscript and PDF research
articles on the Web. Has citation searching component.
Scholar. Beta version, under construction. Indexes
scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books,
preprints, abstracts and technical reports. Google Scholar
includes articles from a variety of academic publishers, professional
societies, preprint repositories and universities. They rank results
based on their relevance criteria.
- Ingenta (Formerly UnCover).
Coverage is 1988 - Present.
Premier. Provides full text for over 1,830 general
reference, business, consumer health, general science. Full text
extends back to January, 1990. Indexing and abstracts is
available for an additional 1,000 journals.
- National Technical
Information Service (NTIS) Database. Contains over 2.0 million
bibliographic records to research reports, computer products, software,
video cassettes, audio cassettes and more from the latest research
sponsored by the United States and select foreign governments. The
complete electronic file dates back to 1964. Most records include
abstracts. Full text to research reports may be purchased from NTIS
using the links in the bibliographic records.
5.0. A free, integrated single-search gateway to reliable science and
technology information from 17 organizations within 13 federal science
agencies - access to over 200 million pages of scientific information.
- Scirus. produced by Elsevier. Use their advanced search which provides many options for
full text searching across a variety of databases.
- SIAM Journals Online
- TechStreet: Technical
Information Superstore. Most comprehensive index for
engineering standards. Also indexes books, materials physical
property data, software and free professional trade magazines.
TI Technical Articles. Find links to technical articles written by
TI engineering experts for engineering trade magazines. Topics include
how to select or design with amplifiers, data converters, clocks,
interface and power management. They also address applications, such as
audio, industrial, medical, high reliability and many others. Several
sorting options can help you with your search.
- U.S. Patent Database. See also Maine's
Patent and Trademark Resource Center.
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Access Science. Online version of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology and the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms. Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.
- Bartleby.com. Dictionaries,
thesaurus, quotations, etc.
- Dictionary of Algorithms and Data
Structures. Compiled by the National Institute of Standards and
- Linktionary.com. Dictionary and encyclopedia on networking and internet topics.
- Tech Encyclopedia.
- Wikipedia. The
- Artificial Intelligence Library.
- Computer History Museum. Collection of computer related artifacts, photographs, films and
- Discovery Channel. Discovery School. Try the brain boosters.
- IEEE Global History Network. Dedicated
to preserving and promoting the history of innovation in the fields of
electrical engineering, electronics and computing, and all their related
- Discover engineering.
Engineer Girl. For everyone with lots of links and information.
- Engineering your Future.
- Frank Potter's Science Gems. Great
links to great resources for students, parents, teachers, etc. Sorted
by categories and grade levels.
- Future Scientists & Engineers of America (FSEA).
- How Stuff Works.
- Living Internet. How does
it work and how was it invented. Programming methods for the internet.
- Maine Engineering Promotion
Network. Expanding Your Horizons.
Collection of tutorials, books, and web sites on programming languages
including MATLAB, C, C++, JAVA, Visual Basic, etc. Full text tutorials
- National Engineers Week.
- Try Science. Sponsored by the New York Hall of Science.
- C|net. Online home of
CBS Interactive's C|net program. Includes current reviews of software and hardware,
industry news and a vast archive of freeware, shareware and demos.
Codes of Ethics
Scholarly internet resources.
University of California, Riverside.
Information technology professional's resource center.