Databases: find journal articles,
technical reports, standards, etc.
- Academic Search Complete. Provides full text for over 4,600 scholarly publications.
Citations and abstracts available for an additional 3,500 journals.
- IEEE Xplore. Index to IEEE and IET publications
in electrical engineering, computer science, and electronics. Full text
of IEEE and IET journals, conference proceedings and standards is available at Fogler Library.
- Business Source Complete. Provides full text for over 2,800 business
- Citeseer.com. Scientific
Literature Digital Library. NEC Corp. Indexes Postscript and PDF research
articles on the Web. Has citation searching component.
- Defense Technical Information
Center (DTIC) Scientific and Technical Information Network. PARTIAL FULL TEXT DATABASE. Access to all unclassified, unlimited citations to documents added
from late December 1974 to present, many from 1998 to present in
- E-Print Network. Maintained
by the Dept. of Energy. Allows simultaneous searching of a variety of
Scholar. Beta version, under construction. Indexes
scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers,
theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports.
Google Scholar includes
articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional
societies, preprint repositories and universities. They rank results
using their relevance criteria. The ranking evaluates the full text of
an article as well as the article's author, the publication in which the
article appeared and how often it has been cited in scholarly
- IngentaConnect. (Formerly UnCover)
Coverage is 1988 - Present.
Premier. Provides full text for over 2,100 general
reference, business, consumer health, general science. Full text
extends back to January, 1990. Indexing and abstracts is available
for an additional 700 journals.
- MInd: The Meetings Index. Provides a free databases of future national and international
conferences, regional meetings, and short courses.
- NASA Technical Report Server (NTRS). This database collects, archives,
and disseminates aerospace information produced by NASA and other
relevant worldwide research.
- National Standards Systems Network (NSSN).
- National Technical
Information Service (NTIS) Database. Contains over 2.0 million
bibliographic records to research reports, computer products, software,
video cassettes, audio cassettes and more from the latest research
sponsored by the United States and select foreign governments. The
complete electronic file dates back to 1964. Most records include
abstracts. Full text to research reports may be purchased from NTIS
using the links in the bibliographic records.
- Networked Computer Science Technical
Reference Library (NCSTRL). Computer science technical reports from
over 100 institutions worldwide. Over 20,000 reports are available in
5.0. A free, integrated single-search gateway to reliable science and
technology information from 17 organizations within 13 federal science
agencies - access to over 200 million pages of scientific information.
Searchable Physics Information Notices (SPIN). A bibliographic database
published by the American Institute of Physics. It is updated every 2 weeks
with coverage of all AIP journals and proceedings. Coverage also
includes journals from other societies including the Electrochemical
Society, Russian Academy of Sciences, etc.
- TechStreet: Technical
Information Superstore. Most comprehensive index for
engineering standards. Also indexes books, materials physical
property data, software and free professional trade magazines.
TI Technical Articles. Find links to technical articles written by
TI engineering experts for engineering trade magazines. Topics include
how to select or design with amplifiers, data converters, clocks,
interface and power management. They also address applications, such as
audio, industrial, medical, high reliability and many others. Several
sorting options can help you with your search.
- U.S. Patent Database. See also Maine's
Patent and Trademark Resource Center.
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Access Science. Online version of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology and the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms. Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.
- Bartleby.com. Dictionaries,
thesaurus, quotations, etc.
Encyclopedia, almanac, atlas, dictionary and thesaurus in one resource
with good science and technology coverage.
and science awards page.
International Electrotechnical Vocabulary (IEV) online
database. Over 20 000 terms in English, French, German and
Spanish some with definitions in English and French.
- Tech Encyclopedia.
- Virtual Museum of Computing.
- Wikipedia. The
- C|net. Online home of
CBS Interactive's C|net program. Includes current reviews of software and hardware,
industry news and a vast archive of freeware, shareware and demos.
Maine Resources and Organizations