Databases: find journal articles, technical
reports, standards, etc.
- Academic Search Complete. Provides full text for over 3,200 scholarly
publications including Chemical Week, Industry Week, Advanced
Materials & Processes.
- Business Source Complete. Provides full text for over 2500 business
Allows for searching by chemical structure and retrieval of physical
property data and relevant web sites.
- Chemical Data Access
Tool (CDAT). Use CDAT to find health and safety information submitted to
EPA under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), including a broad range
of health and safety information reported by industry under TSCA Sections
4,5, 8(d), and 8(e), unpublished, nonconfidential studies covering chemical
testing results and adverse effects of chemicals on health and ecological
systems, health and environmental effects information obtained through the
High Production Volume (HPV) Challenge, and recently declassified
confidential business information.
Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ). Provides access to the full text of over 1100 free scholarly
journals. Some journals are searchable at the article level. Also
provides access by broad subject areas.
- DOE Information Bridge. FULL TEXT DATABASE. Full-text reports for 1995 to present
contracted by the U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Defense Technical Information
Center (DTIC) Scientific and Technical Information Network. Access to all unclassified, unlimited citations to documents added
from late December 1974 to present, many from 1998 to present in
Citations Database. Coverage is 1948 - Present. Contains
bibliographic records for scientific and technical
reports and papers sponsored by the Department of Energy (DOE) and its
predecessor agencies. It provides coverage of traditional and alternative
forms of energy production and conservation.
- Entrez Search and Retrieval
System. National Library of Medicine sponsored databases including
protein and nucleotide databases and
Scholar. Beta version, under construction. Indexes
scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books,
preprints, abstracts and technical reports. Google Scholar
includes articles from a variety of academic publishers, professional
societies, preprint repositories and universities. They rank results
based on their relevance criteria.
- IngentaConnect (Formerly UnCover).
Coverage is 1988 - Present. Good source for purchasing articles.
Premier. Provides full text for over 1,830 general
reference, business, consumer health, general science. Full text
extends back to January, 1990. Indexing and abstracts is
available for an additional 1,000 journals.
- MInd: The Meetings Index. Provides a free databases of future national and international
conferences, regional meetings, and short courses.
- MSDS Search - National
Repository. FULL TEXT DATABASE. This site pulls together in one place a great many
sites containing material safety data sheets. Large list of
manufacturers is included.
- MSDS Solutions. FULL TEXT DATABASE. Database
providing access to over 1 million Material Safety Data Sheets. See also
this listing of MSDS compilations.
- National Standards Systems Network (NSSN).
- National Technical
Information Service (NTIS) Database. Contains over 2.0 million
bibliographic records to research reports, computer products, software,
video cassettes, audio cassettes and more from the latest research
sponsored by the United States and select foreign governments. The
complete electronic file dates back to 1964. Most records include
abstracts. Full text to research reports may be purchased from NTIS
using the links in the bibliographic records.
- Science Accelerator, Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy. Search collections of DOE research results, project descriptions, and accomplishments. These collections enable you to find out about ongoing research projects, explore significant DOE discoveries, learn about DOE Nobel Prize Winners, access and search scientific e-prints, locate science conference papers and proceedings, patents, and more.
5.0. A free, integrated single-search gateway to reliable science and
technology information from 17 organizations within 13 federal science
agencies - access to over 200 million pages of scientific information.
- Scirus. produced by Elsevier. Use their advanced search which provides many options for
full text searching across a variety of databases.
- Searchable Physics Information Notices (SPIN). A bibliographic database
published by the American Institute of Physics. It is updated every 2 weeks
with coverage of all AIP journals and proceedings. Coverage also
includes journals from other societies including the Electrochemical
Society, Russian Academy of Sciences, etc.
- TechStreet: Technical
Information Superstore. Most comprehensive index for
engineering standards. Also indexes books, materials physical
property data, software and free professional trade magazines.
- TOXNET. a cluster
of databases on toxicology, hazardous chemicals, and related areas including
- U.S. Patent
database. See also Maine's
Patent and Trademark Resource Center.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Access Science. Online version of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology and the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms. Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.
thesaurus, quotations, etc.
Encyclopedia, almanac, atlas, dictionary and thesaurus in one resource
with good science and technology coverage.
and science awards page.
Compendium of Chemical Terminology.
- Wikipedia. The
- World of Chemistry. by Eric Weisstein. Wolfram Research. Access to the articles is
provided by an index or major subject areas.
Codes of Ethics
Fuels Properties Database.
From the Dept. of Energy and includes data on various physical, chemical,
operational, and environmental, safety, and health properties.
Spectra Databases. From NIST.
- ChemAlliance. Regulatory
information for the chemical industries.
Searchable database that contains 2D structures and 3D models,
physical property information and appropriate Internet links.
- Cole Parmer.
Chemical Resistance Database. Chemical Compatibility.
- Electronic Orange
Book. Find patent and other useful information on pharmaceutical
drugs. Search by patent number, company name, active ingredient or
proprietary drug name. Database provided by the
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Materials, Formulas, Mathematics, Processes and Design, Etc.
- Engineers Edge. contains
design and technical data, equations, current news, job announcements, links
to free trade journals.
Substances Data Bank. Compiled by NLM.
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
on the Internet.
- MatWeb. Your Source
for Materials Information. Materials property data. See also the
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to
Chemical Hazards. Contains physical and chemical properties and
exposure hazard information for several hundred chemicals that are common in
the work environment.
- NIST Chemistry WebBook.
Contains spectral, thermochemical, thermophysical and energetics data.
- NIST Data Gateway. Covers a broad range of substances and properties from many different
scientific disciplines. U.S. National Institute of Standards and
- Organic Compounds
Database. Index to over 2400 compounds and their
- Organic Syntheses Website and
Database. Provides detailed instructions for the production
Table. From the American Chemical Society. Contains property
Database. Comprehensive collection of physical, chemical and
mechanical properties for the platinum metals group (Platinum,
Palladium, Rhodium, Irridium, Osmium, and Ruthenium).
- Scorecard. Get answers to
your questions about local pollution. Can put in zip code and locate
local superfund sites and other environmental data. By the Environmental
- SubsTech. A free and open knowledge source on Materials Engineering. It
contains a wide range of illustrated articles on metals, ceramics,
polymers, composites and fluids including their properties, applications
and technologies for their manufacture.
Each article includes a list of useful links related to the article content.
Users can create their own Expert page, edit the site content, add new
articles and contribute to discussions.
Interpretation of the Table of Elements. From the Royal Society of
Scientific Product Buyers Guides