The cornerstone of the present Fogler Library was set in 1941 but World War II delayed completion of the building until 1947. The collection had grown to 215,000 volumes plus government documents. In 1962, the building was named after Raymond H. Fogler for his service to the University of Maine.
Over the years many generous individuals have supported the Fogler Library building. Our "People, Places, and Things" informational brochure (PDF file) is our way of acknowledging them and saying thank you.
In 1963, the library became a regional depository site for government documents and a new addition was soon in order and completed in 1974 to accommodate a further 250,000 volumes. In 1995, the Library Annex was built on the south end of campus and half of the space committed to storage before the doors opened in early 1996. Climate control in this new facility enabled the University to compete successfully for the Cohen Archives which are housed there along with selected Special Collections materials, government documents, early Dewey classed monographs and pre-1936 periodicals.
Today, the library's collections consist of over 1 million volumes, 1.6 million microforms, and 2.25 million United States Federal, Maine State, and Canadian federal and provincial government publications. As we address the rapidly shifting information needs of students, faculty and staff, these traditional formats are being integrated with many new collection materials including: sound recordings, CD-ROMs, videotape and remote electronic resources. Providing equipment and services to access these new formats is an ongoing challenge that we are addressing through various initiatives in the New Media age.
Fogler Library Steps
|History | Collections | Services | Collaborations | Outreach | Fogler Library Home|